Hey! I’m Phil and I’m real! I’m also really into virtualization and other nifty datacenter technologies!
I’ve been in the IT field since 2005 where I started working for the Best Buy Geek Squad. Since then, I started work for a mid-size (350-450 employees) financial services call center in South Carolina in the help-desk department. I am now the datacenter manager, responsible for all aspects of the company’s infrastructure, servers, A/C, power, storage, backup, disaster recovery, telephony, VoIP, vendors, connectivity, etc, etc.
- VMware Cloud Infrastructure: vCenter, vSphere ESXi/ESX, Site Recovery Manager, Operations Manager.
- VMware End-User Computing: View/Horizon View, ThinApp, View Security Server, RSA SecurID integration with View iPad App.
- EMC: Clariion/Celerra, VNX, Recoverpoint.
- Cisco: IOS, Nexus, UCS-C/UCS-B.
- Microsoft: Windows Server, SQL, Windows, Office, Active Directory, Domain, DHCP, DNS. (Isn’t this assumed?)
- Network: Manage all layers of network elements.
- Disaster Recovery planning, implementation, and testing.
- Train new and existing employees on new technologies, security, and general computing.
- Manage IT audits and compliance programs, such as SSAE 16, PCI-DSS Compliance, and SOX.
- Attended VMworld 2010, 2011, 2012.
- Presented “Virtualization 101” at Student Loans, Receivables, and Collections Conference 2010 in Charlotte, NC, to over 200 attendees.
- Presented “Virtualization 101” to Benchmark Group (several C_O levels) — many of whom switched to virtualization after my presentation.
- Presented “VMware View Virtual Desktops on EMC Storage” at March 2012 Charlotte EMC User’s Group.
- Presented in Solutions Exchange at VMworld 2012 to over 50 attendees.
- Published EMC Customer Profile here (2012).
- Published EMC Customer Video here (2013).
- Presented a webinar for the Radicati Group, Inc., “Microsoft Exchange and SharePoint Consolidation and Virtualization in a Private Cloud Environment” (March 2013).
- VMware Certified Professional (VCP) on vSphere
- Winner of the 2012 “EMC Journey to the Cloud for Transforming Business Award” by delivering innovated cloud solutions and breakthrough business value. Press Release.
When I’m not working (yes, that’s possible), I’m either traveling or doing some non-profit work or with my church. I am the A/V producer for our 9AM worship service. I also spent 16 years being the technical worship producer for Unidiversity Youth Camps during a week of vacation every summer.
I’m a volunteer leader for the ONE Campaign, a hard-headed movement of more than 3 million people committed to end extreme poverty and preventable disease. ONE was started by Bono and is now one of the most effective advocacy groups for the poor and hungry on Capitol Hill and in our neighborhoods. Learn more and join on the ONE website: We’re not asking for your money, we only want your voice. ONE.org
During vacation, I’m probably on a plane or in a car. I have friends all over and love visiting them. I shoot for 25-50,000 miles in a plane a year. That’s a lot for someone who rarely travels for business! A lot of it is free travel, paid for by credit card sign-up bonuses! If you think I’m crazy and stupid… well I’m not. In 18 months, I’ve accumulated over 800,000 points/miles and my credit score has actually gone up! Want to learn more? Just ask!
If it’s the weekend, there’s a good chance I’m outdoors in the summer kayaking or hiking, or maybe even on the lake. Otherwise, there’s probably an adult beverage and good friends involved! Work hard, play harder!